Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > The House at Tyneford

The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons

Oct 29, 2011

bookshelves: adc-reviews, arc, ww2, cross-cultural-romance, owned-copy, early-to-mid-twentieth-century, historical-fiction, coming-of-age, favorites, set-in-uk, jewish-hero-or-heroine, 2011-reading
Recommended for: Historical fiction and early 20th fiction lovers
Read from October 27 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Ms. Solomons took me back to the time around the beginning of WWII through the eyes of a girl who is a stranger in a strange land, and in such a way that my heart was completely affected by this story. Descriptive, nostalgic, and highly evocative.

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.

Reviewed in the January issue of Affaire de Coeur magazine. http://affairedecoeur.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at Tyneford.

message 1: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Danielle...This book sounds sooooooo good! I am excited to hear what you think.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Ally, it's very good so far. I think it's going to be sad. I have a feeling that many people Elise knew in Vienna ended up dying in concentration camps. :(

message 3: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 It sounds like a wonderful book, but might be one where you want to read something "lighter" next. Happy Friday! Do you have any fun plans for the weekend?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Yeah, I think this one is going to be a tough read. I will try to start Smooth-Talking Stranger this evening. Happy Friday to you too! I am working tomorrow, and going to church Sunday. I might try to see what I can pull together as far as a Halloween costume when I get out of church Sunday. I hope to squeeze some reading in there, if I can.

How about you?

message 5: by Ally72 (last edited Oct 28, 2011 09:49AM) (new)

Ally72 Smooth Talking Stranger will be a good book to read with this one...I hope you love it! It is a bummer that you have to work tomorrow so I hope it goes by fast. Do you have your Halloween party on Sunday or have you already gone to it? I am going to catch up on things around the house and hopefully find time to read (and not fall asleep while doing it) this weekend. Hugs!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) My friend is throwing a Halloween party on Monday evening. I hope I get out of work on time for it.

Work tomorrow should be fine, I hope. I enjoy going over there. I'm sure I'll be tired afterwards though. I hope you are able to catch up on your rest and read. Hugs back at you!