Vanessa 'Pixi' Kraus's Reviews > The Verbally Abusive Relationship, Expanded Third Edition: How to recognize it and how to respond

The Verbally Abusive Relationship, Expanded Third Edition by Patricia Evans

Oct 12, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-d-read-again, non-fiction, sad, educational
Recommended to Vanessa 'Pixi' by: Desiree
Recommended for: Everyone - information is always a good thing
Read from October 15 to November 30, 2011 , read count: 1

I think that everyone should read this book. It helped me to realize some of the very non obvious forms of verbal abuse. There are so many things that happened to me that I never would have thought or considered verbal abuse until I read this book and was better able to understand my own circumstance. This book has helped me to understand myself better, my situation better, and to move forward with my life. The reason I think everyone should read this book is because it defines the many facets of verbal abuse that many people deal with every day without even realizing it. I think there is also invaluable information in this book about raising children to recognize verbal abuse and helping to validate their feelings and reality as well. I also think that abusers don't realize they are abusing. I find myself now choosing my words very carefully so as not to inadvertently manipulate someone. I also listen very closely to the things other people say to me to always try and keep aware of verbal abuse. Since reading this book I have also found that this type of abuse is extremely common. Many people have seen me reading it and made comments about their own experiences. It's just a shame that it took me so long to recognize mine, and in fact I wouldn't have had it not been for a friend saying "HEY! That sounds like verbal abuse! I heard of this book that I think you should read." I believe that this book is an invaluable resource for everyone and I took many notes that I will be keeping on file on my computer to review from time to time to keep my mind on the right track. I want to keep improving my life and myself, and avoiding those who seek power over me. This book is just one of the things that has helped me start working towards that goal.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Verbally Abusive Relationship, Expanded Third Edition.