Christine O'Neill's Reviews > A Burial at Sea

A Burial at Sea by Charles Finch

May 11, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, mysteries
Recommended to Christine by: GoodReads "First Reads"
Recommended for: anyone who loves a good mystery!
Read from October 26 to November 04, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I received ‘Burial at Sea’ as one of the winners of the Goodreads.com “First Reads” giveaways. I was delighted to discover the book was a Charles Lennox mystery, as I had recently read and enjoyed ‘A Beautiful Blue Death.’

The main character, Charles Lennox, is a Victorian England gentleman, and his daily life often presents to him situations requiring him to perform detective work, a part-time passion of his (along with a good cup of tea and Lady Jane’s company).

However, at the start of this book, we learn Charles has put behind him the role of detective. He has become a member of Parliament and his new marriage to Lady Jane has resulted in a content and busy life. But it is an uneasy time in Victorian England as tensions with France have brought them to the brink of war. English spies are being killed abroad and Charles’ brother Edmund needs him to attempt a dangerous and secret diplomatic mission to the Suez Canal. Charles soon boards the naval vessel Lucy, and not one day passes before the first murder has occurred! Charles is thrown back into the role of detective, and we follow him as he wades through the clues and suspects in search of the murderer.

Charles Finch creates an easily envisioned world of the life of a sailor in the Victorian England Navy, and the boat the story takes place comes to life. I felt as if I was on the Lucy as well! As a reader I enjoy historical fiction and it was obvious Mr. Finch obviously performed a lot of research for this book.

The mystery of course, is the heart of the book, and we are taken through a web of possibilities of suspects. One of the best aspects is the character development and plotting that Mr. Finch does very well. The most fun part of reading these books for me are the interesting clues that Charles Lennox discovers. I find myself trying to figure out the mystery along with Mr. Lennox!

Burial at Sea is a fantastic mystery, and an entertaining story. I would recommend it highly to anyone who enjoys murder mysteries, especially those that take place in Victorian England. I am looking forward to reading Charles Lennox next murder mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Burial at Sea.