Erica's Reviews > The Mostly True Story of Jack

The Mostly True Story of Jack by Kelly Barnhill

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, childrens, mock-newberry
Read on October 12, 2011

I originally thought this book was going to be an engaging read - the synopsis told of a boy who is normally overlooked and ignored, moves to a new town, and immediately garners the attention of several different people. However, rather than feeling drawn in by the mystery of the story, I found myself a little bored with the pacing and the lack of information provided. It's one thing to carefully construct a plot that keeps the reader wanting to know more, providing bits of information and cliff-hangers that makes them want to stay up late into the night just to find out what happens next. It's another thing to take a good premise and then write a mediocre story around it, where the characters are not fully developed and the plot seems to trip and stumble its way to the end. For me, the biggest flaw was the lack of world-building - not fully explaining the history of the town and the role that magic, and its guardian(s), played.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mostly True Story of Jack.

10/12/2011 page 271