Megan's Reviews > In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

204824
May 20, 08

bookshelves: listened-to
Read in May, 2008

I get it. We are all going to die from either high fructose corn syrup poisoning, or the oodles of other chemicals in the food-like substances we eat on a daily basis. This book was extremely interesting and educational, yet makes me feel as if it's completely an uphill battle to eat healthy. As a single mom, I surely can't afford to buy only organic and grass-fed foods, and I can assure you that I won't be giving up my microwave any time soon. But at least I found some small changes I can make to help in the fight against industrialized food-stuffs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Defense of Food.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Thank goodness My mum, brother, and sister are allergic to high fructose corn syrup!

message 2: by Carol Ann (new)

Carol Ann I'm in trouble. I like my lettuce with fructose!

Megan I hear ya, sister!!!

Kelley it's all about small changes anyway. There's no way we any of us can make the kind of sweeping huge changes (financially or time-wise!) that it would take to completely reverse this stuff. But the small changes are good. Feel triumphant!

Megan how's the farm subscription going?

Kelley Sadly, we weren't able to do it when it came down t the wire because of our wedding budget. But we've committed to going to the Farmer's Market each week and then trying to do it next year. I was pretty disappointed, but we have to save $$.

Megan Find any good Markets?

Kelley The one in the West End isn't bad and the South Side one's good. Sewickley has one every Saturday - I like that one but it's too far to go now.

Carol I'm reading another one of his now. Along with Kingsolver's book I just finished, I'm in agreement with someone who posted here about doing small things.

We're really fortunate that right up the road there's a family who grows and sells their grass-fed beef pretty cheaply (a lb of ground beef is $3.00!) They also do chickens and pork well too.

We're also really fortunate that there's a huge organic farm here which also sells at the Saturday market in the summer.

Kristy small changes are fabulous, so good for you. and I know that organic food is expensive, but don't poo-poo it. It's uncomfortable, yes but the more we push through the less expensive its gonna be for our children when they start buying their own food. don't think of it as an expense, but an investment...and far cheaper than medical bills