Dee Kridel's Reviews > God's Eye

God's Eye by A.J. Scudiere

Oct 12, 2011

Read in October, 2011

This is not the genre I typically read, but the teaser in "Shelf Awareness" was so compelling I requested a galley and I am so glad I did, and so grateful to have received one.

The premise is as ancient as humanity- Good versus Evil and Man's imperfect ability to tell the difference much less choose between them.

In the globally metaphorical sense, Katharine Geryon is "Everyman". Allistair and Zachary are the Demon and Angel battling for her in just the latest round of an ongoing primordial battle they have waged with Katharine as the current prize. But who is Demon and who is Angel? Katharine can't tell for sure, and neither can we until the very last heartbreaking moment of the literally earthshaking contest in which Katharine must finally and surprisingly choose her destiny.

I was drawn into this story from the beginning, watching Katharine confront horrific supernatural episodes that threaten her well-ordered predictable world and her role as dutiful daughter and capable executive. Adding to her distress are two charismatic men who turn her life inside out with their attractiveness. Katharine can't resist either one, and coupled with mysterious messages on her bathroom mirror in Latin and nights filled with supernatural terrors, she begins to neglect her staid duties in her workaday world and starts the journey that will force her to make her choice and become who she is meant to be.

Watching Katharine's evolution from drone to being fully alive is one of the best parts of the book. The friendship of Margot, a Librarian who actually believes and helps her is the catalyst she needs and their relationship is another pleasure to read. Of course trying to guess the true identities of the supernatural combatants is what keeps the pages turning. I loved it!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Eye.