Traci Haley's Reviews > Think of a Number

Think of a Number by John Verdon

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audiobooks, mystery-suspense, series-books
Read from October 12 to 18, 2011

There were parts of this book I loved, parts I loathed, and all of it evened out to a very "meh" feeling once I finished it. I felt like the book was pretty mediocre, bordering on tedious at times. It was way too long for the amount of plot in it. I liked Gurney's character, especially by the end of the book where he seemed to learn a bit from his mistakes, but geez, for being such a great cop, he sure was stupid sometimes! And his wife was a harpy... I could NOT find one redeemable quality about her. She was selfish and inflexible and I'm really not sure why Gurney stayed with her.

The mystery itself started out strong, but became rather meandering towards the end...and the the payoff really wasn't all that interesting, in my opinion. All that build up for kind of a letdown.

I don't regret reading the book, because it was a good piece of brain fluff, but I can't say that it left me clamoring for the next book in the series. There are some books that I read that I never forget...and then there's books like this one, that I probably won't remember in a month's time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think of a Number.