Sonia's Reviews > Bittersweet

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Mar 18, 14

bookshelves: pulse-it, in-between-ratings
Read from February 01 to 02, 2012

I read Sarah Ockler's debut novel a while ago and really, really liked it. While this is definitely a different book than Twenty Boy Summer, I found myself loving it all the same!

The main character, Hudson, has such realistic flaws. I love it when my main characters are like actual people and Hudson totally fits the bill. You could almost see her being shaped into who she is from just a few well-placed scenes and memories of her life pre-baking. It's clear that skating was a huge part of Hudson's life and her feelings post-skating career definitely reflect that.

While Hudson is a figure skater through-and-through, circumstances also introduce her to the hockey team. Hudson's first meeting with the Wolves (like, seriously, they're the Watonka Wolves varsity team) is a little intimidating, to say the least. The boys could do with some proper manners and respect for the new girl isn't at the top of their priority list. As I got to know the team though, I started to really, really like them! They were hilarious and all of them had such distinctive personalities. They definitely made for a fun read.

Then there are the characters that Hudson knows on a more personal level: Bug, Dani, Josh, and the other workers at Hurley's. I am so appreciative of the way Sarah Ockler incorporated her friends and family into the framework of Hudson's life. Oh, and Josh is cute. That helps.

The resolution that happens at the end isn't necessarily easy, but it's rewarding. I don't want to spoil anything but Hudson's relationship with some of the characters is damaged (as they are) and there's quite a bit of talking that has to happen. Yay, healthy problem solving! A lot of the times in books, I'm left irritated at the final apology scene when one character takes -- or is given -- more than their fair share of blame. In Bittersweet, I thought it was all handled perfectly.

I really have to issue a warning though, before I can finish off. You guys MUST HAVE CUPCAKES READY for when you're reading. There is so much talk of delicious-sounding baked goods and I just... yeah. Cravings.

Cover Comments: I really want to see this one in person because I think it'll look a lot better than it does on my computer screen. Anyways, the cover is nice enough. I like that they kept it simple and the sugar dusting was a cool idea. It doesn't jump out at me or anything but I like it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bittersweet.

02/01/2012 page 277