Karen's Reviews > The Magi

The Magi by Kevin M. Turner

Oct 12, 2011

bookshelves: on-my-kindle, series-to-finish
Read from October 18 to 23, 2011

I’ve been sitting here at my computer for ages trying to think how I can word this review without telling you more about the plot than is already given in the synopsis. I don’t want to give any spoilers - this book deserves for you to discover it’s secrets yourself!

We first meet 13 year old Elijah, the main character, just before his parents and older sister are murdered by a mysterious man with strange eyes. Elijah begins to learn that just maybe he isn’t quite the average kid on the block he thought he was. Elijah was a strong, well written protagonist and my favourite character in the book. He was a brave, intelligent, humorous and slightly insecure teen who dealt very well with the situations the author threw him into without losing his head.

There were other characters in the book I really enjoyed. Master Roddick, one of the teachers at the school who seems different from the others, Elijah’s friends -Isaac, Paul, Hannah, Adam and Becca. Of his friends Becca was definitely my favourite. I loved her smart and slightly cocky attitude and that she was very sure of herself and way too bossy!

The magical world of The Magi will have your imagination racing and well as you’re heart! The story is fast paced and exciting and if you are anything like me, you will be on the edge of your seat through most of it!

So, what didn't I like about The Magi? Actually nothing. I totally loved this book and can't wait for the second in the series early (hopefully!) next year!

The Magi is well written and has an excellent storyline. It is a fast and easy read and although this book is actually tagged as a Young Adult, I feel it is also very appropriate for both younger and older readers. There is a bit of violence, but nothing too graphic that would upset younger readers. The Magi will definitely appeal to Harry Potter fans with it's magical element (although Magi magic is nothing like Potter magic), part of the storyline being set in a school and it's younger end teen cast. This is one book I definitely recommend you read soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magi.