Julia's Reviews > The Dark River

The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks

Oct 21, 14

Read in November, 2011

I'll admit it's been a while since I read the first in this series and remembered thinking it had promise, but from what I am getting from this book, I am not sure I even remember it that clearly. So, the Travelers can bring enlightenment by traveling to other realms...but the realms aren't exactly where I would think you could find enlightenment. For example going into a realm that is essentially what is understood to be hell doesn't exactly seem as if it will change the world. And if I can be so blunt as to say - I am pretty sure I never read in the Bible where Jesus (who they consider to be a Traveler) spoke about going to hell and coming back with inspiration. I wouldn't imagine there is anything inspiring there? I mean is this a sort of Dungeons and Dragons thing where you go in and search for some valuable object hidden in a nightmare realm? I just don't get it. Definitely feel like there are interesting aspects of the story nonetheless and agree that it hits on the usual paranoid question of "who's going to watch the watchers?" very well. I did feel the idea that the Harlequins are just murderers who are supposed to suffer and die to atone for some implicit sin in their existence has a very Catholic feel to it. Not sure what religion this is supposed to tie in with, but I am definitely feeling a Dante-esque vibe to it. Maybe I am just not getting something basic, but it's a little too all over the place for me and I just don't get what the point of the Traveler is any more than the free runners who only seem to know that they bring hope. After all what influence did his father have in the world before or after he had his sons?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark River.