Raina's Reviews > The Accidental Genius of Weasel High

The Accidental Genius of Weasel High by Rick Detorie

Oct 27, 11

bookshelves: funny, illustra-hybrids, realistic, ya, realistic-6th-guy
Read from October 12 to 21, 2011

Fun, light, realistic, boy fare.

Some random, disconnected thoughts...

--I wish Detorie'd emphasized the Genius part of the title a bit more. The term "Accidental Genius" is defined in the first page or so, and then it's sort of referred back to, but don't expect a lot of plot from the title.

--I liked the use of sequential art, though sometimes it wasn't all that sequential, and some of the illustrations didn't necessarily add anything to the text. But they don't detract, and they do make the page seem a little more accessible, so maybe that's purpose enough.

--I wanted the sister to be redeemed at some point. She's flatout annoying all the way up to the end. Of course, since the whole thing is setup as a journal by the kid, it makes sense that the sister would stay villainized. Using an unreliable narrator in books like this (semi-light, sort of silly) is a delicate thing. How heightened do you make it?

--The story started out really strong (it even made me laugh out loud a few times), and became more and more predictable towards the end.

--I enjoyed the semi-rural/semi-suburban setting, and there were some nice parental moments (though the characters weren't entirely consistent).

--It's very episodic.

The end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accidental Genius of Weasel High.