Shriya's Reviews > Saint Joan

Saint Joan by George Bernard Shaw

Oct 27, 11

bookshelves: favourites, plays, wishlist, fiercely-feminist
Recommended to Shriya by: Gayatri
Read from October 07 to 12, 2011

A question for everyone: How could anyone NOT like Saint Joan ? That it is 'beautifully well-written' goes without saying! (I mean, it's Bernard Shaw , guys? How can you find faults with him? He's the modern day combination of Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde, though he probably would have taken a turn in his grave right now just because I called him that!) But what's beautiful about this play is, not only is it well-written but also, it is one of those rare tragedies which move you to tears and then make you laugh the very next instant. It is one of the rare, rare plays you never want to finish and though it' s a story, I am sure, everyone's familiar with, the way Shaw has re-written it makes the whole thing come out in a new light! You see Shaw not only as a playwright of immense calibre but also as something you never though of him as- a Protestant!
The language of the play stays with you; it kinda carves a niche in your reader's heart for itself and immortalises Joan in a way that even her burning did not! This play makes Joan a reader's darling, too, apart from her being the much-hyped Saint who was canonized in 1920 and whose story was narrated to anyone in a Christian Missionary School during every other prayer or assembly session!

Thanks to Shaw, I am so sure, for days together I am going to dream of Jeanne d'Arc every night because no matter how much the story horrified, scandalised and later bored me when I heard it in my school functions, from now on, this story, the way Shaw portrayed it, will haunt me to eternity!

(P.S. I don't think I can ever thank you enough for lending it to me, Gayatri and also for dragging me along to your Honours' classes. Dr. Gill simply added to the beauty of this masterpiece!)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saint Joan.

Shriya Let me see you try! :P