Zeek's Reviews > Night Pleasures

Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: alpha-hero, favorites-pnr, angels-gods-demons, pnr-kitchen-sink, pnr, romance, vamps
Read in June, 2006

I used to say, I'm not a vampire reader, although I loved the Buffy and Angel series on TV.

After hearing rabid raving over LKH creations, I decided to give it a try awhile back.

Na uh. Not for me. Totally couldn't get into it.

I even tried some other popular paranormal authors ... Feehan, Shayne ...

None of them pulled me in.

Then a friend sent me Kenyon's Night Pleasures and I thought, "Ah ha!", now here's a vamp series I can have fun with. It's not an Anne Rice rehashing, which I always found so dreadfully dull, and it doesn't suck off the Bram Stoker teat- altho true classics they may be in their own right- I hate the derivative.

Kenyon's vampires are vampires of her own making. A group of sexy men and women who turned "Dark Hunter" out of desire for vengeance, their legend, mixed with the legends of mythological gods, made this series intriguing to me, despite the fact that Kenyon has a spotty reputation as far as how good her novels actually are.

In Night Pleasures, Kyrian Thrace, betrayed by a bad marriage, makes a vow of vengeance that turns him immortal. Saving Amanda Deveraux from the evil baddies will bring him back to his humanity.

Sure we've seen this all before... now. but back before Twitlight- this was some fun archetypal reading!

Dont be fooled, this is romance wrapped in paranormal packaging, and let's face it, it's all candy-no meat- but it is entertaining, so I recommend the series if you somehow missed reading it!

Btw, the Dark Hunter series officially starts here although Fantasy Lover comes before it. I've read them all now- except FL, which I plan on reading at some point- so if you haven't read Fantasy Lover, go ahead and start here...
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Pleasures.

Grammy 1 I agree completely. I have been reading this series also for years. I found Fantasy Lover at a used Book store and actually read it first. If you are not apt to take a chance you might not have looked past this book to the next in the series because it was so way out there. I found it enchanting and have been on the ride ever since..