Bonnie's Reviews > Talking to Girls about Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut

Talking to Girls about Duran Duran by Rob Sheffield

Oct 19, 11

Read in October, 2011

Can't remember what list I saw Talking to Girls About Duran Duran on, but the title alone grabbed me. I'm an 80's girl through and through and Duran Duran was my favorite. The book is a humorous journey through a teenage boy's childhood, a seriously backward geek who let his three sisters dress him up for a school dance for which he has no date. Each chapter relates to a song from the 80's (sometimes directly, sometimes rather loosely) and leads up to Duran Duran's "All She Wants Is" and Sheffield's awe of the way they have managed to not only be in their fans' favor well into the 21st century, but how they were a completely girly, make-up wearing, new wave, hair band hated by men and they didn't care. There's a lot of funny in the book, though the story telling is a bit uneven (although this may have something to do with the fact that I was trying to read it in noisy airports and in cramped planes while I was dog-tired from a long weekend with my girlfriends in northern Wisconsin). But I always found something to relate to or something to laugh at, and this held true all the way through to the acknowledgements when Sheffield writes, "Names have been changed, either to protect privacy or because the radio was on and I wasn't really paying attention while you were talking."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talking to Girls about Duran Duran.