Mel (Daily Prophecy)'s Reviews > Lies Beneath

bookshelves: read-2012, netgalley
Read from June 09 to 11, 2012

3.5 stars.

Also posted on:

Forget sweet little mermaids. And definitely don't picture The little mermaid Ariel when you think about this book. Mermaids are murderous creatures who feed on humans; killing them by taking their energy and emotions away. They have irresistable good looks, they can hypnotize you with their eyes, they can transform into humans (and that's a painful transformation) and they have other tricks to make them even more dangerous.
There is only one boy who is trying to resist his urge to kill people and that's Calder. He lives with his three sisters - Maris, Parvati and Tallulah - in the cold waters of Lake Superior. He likes the warm waters better, so whenever he has the change, he will go away. Unfortunately, he is bound to his sisters by a bond only Maris can break. And if he wants that, he will have to pay a price.

Years ago, their mother died because of Tom Hancock. She saved his life and he promised his son Jason as a payment. Right after that, Tom moved away with his family, leaving their mother to suffer. This year, Tom died and Jason returned to his family's homestead. The sisters are planning to kill him, so they can collect the payment. There is only one problem: Jason fears the water, so they have to come up with a plan to lure him into the waters. That's how Calder can get his freedom. He must seduce Hancock's daughter. Only Calder screws up, because he falls for Lily.

Can he resist her, so he can get his freedom? Or will he follow his heart?

Things I liked.
One thing I really liked was the whole new look I got from mermaids. I love the little mermaid and that's how I always saw them. Until now. From the three sisters, Maris must be the scariest one. She is filled with hate and she has no mercy. She wants Jason to suffer, while he is innocent. You have Parvati, who likes to play with her victoms before she takes their lives and Talullah; don't get fooled by her innocence.
Lily has a great personality. She likes to wear clothes that makes her different; unique. She resists Calder and I appreciated that. It's not that she went all crazy and swoony over his good looks. Instead of that, she admits that he freaks her out and that he is creepy. She is so right! I would be scared in her place. Calder keeps popping up around her and nobody seems to know this guy. I liked how their feelings developed, because Lily wants to learn more about him before she let herself fall in love with him.
Calder is a great guy, because he really tries to resist his instincts. He doesn't want to be a monster and I'm glad that he found a way to deal with it. It shows us that we CAN have control, even when our whole body screams for it :) Isn't it great that we have a male POV?
I also liked the ending. It was something I didn't expected and it makes me anxious for the next book. I wouldn't say it's a cliff hanger, but it certainly makes you excited!

Things I didn't like.
The characters were great, the storyline was good, but there were still two things that bothered me. I never felt like I connected with Calder or Lily. We get to look through the eyes of Calder, so Lily her thoughts and feelings are far away. I never felt like I really knew her. It was great that he was the POV, because that's not something we read all the time, but he still felt a little distance. As if he was trying to shield his real thoughts away from me (something mermaids can do, by the way.) Yeah, this was my main dislike. No connection.
Besides that, there was something missing.. I can't put my finger on it, but I think you know what I mean. Just the feeling that the story lacks of something important. Just one thing that makes the difference between a good book and a fantastic book.

If you like mermaids and you are looking for an original approach, than this is definitely something for you. If you're not a fan of mermaids, I don't think that this book will make you fall in love with them.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies Beneath.

06/09/2012 page 100
33.0% "I like it so far :)"

message 1: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Valentine Okay, I just went to put a hold on this at my library -- your review made me so curious for this, Mel! I know we both love to get a good glimpse into a guy's crazy mind, so I think I'm going to really like the whole male POV thing :) Thanks for the awesome honest review! <3

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars