Nyimah's Reviews > The Undead Next Door

The Undead Next Door by Kerrelyn Sparks

Oct 12, 11

Read in October, 2011

I enjoyed the story of Jean Luc and Heather... and of course i liked that they had so much involvement with previous characters, it wasn’t just an all new cast and Jean Luc.

My only negative comment would be with how they handled the Phineas character, it was worse in the previous book. But it’s like every time they addressed his character it was "the black guy". They refer to everyone else with other characteristics... but with him it’s like "a black guy"

It was like they needed to remind the reader... "Every OTHER person you read about in this book is NOT BLACK"... and seriously he had to be the drug dealer with the overweight sister and diabetic mother from the hood. The guy that you KEEP referring to as " the/a black guy".

So that really put a damper on my enjoyment. I am an equal opportunity reader, and I am used to being the minority in my environment, I guess I was just a bit disappointed for it to be such a distraction in this nice easy read. anyhow... it is what it is.. And I don’t plan on it causing me to not read anymore of the series... but I may take a break for a bit... :(
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Undead Next Door.