Micah McCarty's Reviews > Feast Day of Fools

Feast Day of Fools by James Lee Burke

Nov 16, 11

Read from November 04 to 15, 2011

Wow, this is probably the best book I've read so far this year. Apparently the author has written over 30 books and I've never even heard of him. I believed that this would be a five star book throughout the first three quarters of the book. However I ended with two minor complaints that might knock it down to 4 or 4 1/2 stars.

Number one: the author has numerous villains in the book that are such unique examples of evil (like McCarthy's Chugre) that there isn't enough room in the story for all four of them. It felt a bit contrived to continue to introduce one after the other when the first one (or two) would have been entirely adequate to carry the book.

Number two: I LOVED Sheriff Holland in the start of this book. He had such a nuanced approach to life and people that you don't see in much literature. However, once the book got going his character changed entirely into a single minded cowboy who forgot his "code" in order to pursue his idea of justice. I was disappointed that he didn't hold on to his beautiful character through the entire story.

I still rate the book highly and recommend it absolutely. There are many beautiful and intriguing characters that I fell in love with, primarily Anton Ling. She was wonderful. The book is dark and the characters are terrifically evil. If you enjoy Cormac McCarthy stuff you will enjoy this as well. It's not quite as horrific as Blood Meridian but it comes close.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feast Day of Fools.