Jordan Erlanson's Reviews > If I Die in a Combat Zone: Box Me Up and Ship Me Home

If I Die in a Combat Zone by Tim O'Brien

Nov 02, 11

Read from October 12 to November 02, 2011

If I Die in a Combat Zone is about the author from The Things They Carried and Going After Cacciato, Tim O'Brien. He tells his story of being drafted to go to war in Vietnam and it is a good book so far, I like war books so I think it will be good and also its an easier read. Tim O'Brien didn't want to get drafted and he doesn't think of himself as a soldier the only thing he wants to do now is go to Europe to write books and travel and see the world and not to go to war.

10-26-11
Tim O'Brien is in Vietnam now and he doesn't like it one bit because he has to kill people and he doesn't like that, he also doesn't even consider himself a soldier. He and a group of 19 other guys had to guard a trail until sunrise and he had to stay up for half the time holding onto his claymore detonator and see if any vienamese troops would come across them. The group was then taken back to an LZ where they stayed a few days before moving to another location in Vietnam.

11-2-11
Tim O'Brien got to get out of infantry, and he then got to sit behind a desk and type things on computer in Chu Lui. He liked that a lot better because he wasn't getting shot at, and he also got a lot more freedom. Tim got to finally write the rest of his book and a little while later he got to go on a plane and head home to where he wanted to be instead of Vietnam.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Die in a Combat Zone.

10/12/2011 page 7