Gordon's Reviews > Angels of Darkness

Angels of Darkness by Ilona Andrews

Oct 12, 11

I liked the story we did, but to be honest I also feel like we had to compromise to get it accepted. Ilona, do not read past this point. I don't mean that in a "oh poor me, I am an artist and I had to compromise my artistic integrity, to get my novel published." Ok, well maybe a little, even commercial hacks get the blues. When we came up with alphas, we wanted it to be sick and twisted, dark and mostly devoid of humor. Really, we sometimes like to write stuff that is not as funny or fantasy-ish? Can I say that, anyway. So the plan was to make it into a series of it's own, published maybe as e-books. We made the decision to include the story in the anthology based on the promise that it would be accepted as is, warts and all. Then we then had to make it less dark and more romancy. I felt a little duped. It is an ok story, but truth be told, the best story in the whole book is Meljean's Guardian story. I am going to step carefully off of my soapbox and go back to whatever it is I do. Move along nothing to see here.
36 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels of Darkness.

Vicki I loved this story, although the romance was definitely not my favorite part. I hope to read more of this world.

Gordon Vicki wrote: "I loved this story, although the romance was definitely not my favorite part. I hope to read more of this world." I hope so to, over wings and booze the other day we were discussing the fact that once Kate runs it's course we will need another series. It came down to this series and maybe the Kinsmen universe. Of course I suggested the improbable Kinsmen VS Alphas crossover conflict. And was promptly told to shut up.

message 3: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Rosa oh come on, crossovers rule, besides they're already mentioned in Bayou Moon and all!

message 4: by Ilona (new)

Ilona Andrews You were not told to shut up. You were told, "I don't want to write more Alphas because we get hate." :waves arms:

Gordon Ilona wrote: "You were not told to shut up. You were told, "I don't want to write more Alphas because we get hate." :waves arms:" Yeah, then you slapped me and whispered that "I would always be weaker than you," and that "Rameriaz lied." Whatever that means. You made a fool of me in front of everybody at the Wild Wing Cafe.

message 6: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Rosa what? who gives hate?
no one gives hate!

if someone gives hate, you give me their address and i'll take care of it, no one will have to know...

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil Woah!!! Kate is gonna end?? I thought you two would be chained to your desk forever churning out more of the Kate Series...........thats what I imagine Butcher does.

message 8: by Ilona (new)

Ilona Andrews Gordon wrote: "Ilona wrote: "You were not told to shut up. You were told, "I don't want to write more Alphas because we get hate." :waves arms:" Yeah, then you slapped me and whispered that "I would always be ..."

You are insane! We had a lovely date, and you enjoyed your beer, and nobody was made a fool of.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil *snap*Mr Gordon *snap*

Sandra Got my copy of the book yesterday, looking forward to it.

And will be happy to read your dark, dark but would like the humour to stay. One of your greatest features, anyone can do just dark.

Steph LOL! Y'all are too cute. And, knowing Kate would eventually fade and seeing it in writing are two TOTALLY different things. The first comes from the mind of a (mostly) rational serial fan knowing all good things must end. The second is just too damn sad to think about right now. So, I'll plug my ears and cover my eyes while doing my "Kate and Curran will never end" dance until #6 in *whine* 2013.

Eliza Brand Ha ha, you guys are hilarious. I want to add my vote to more Alphas in the future. The world building in Alphas is great and I think would support more stories. This novella could be a prelude. Anyhoo, I think you guys are great and will read anything you write.

Shymsal Absolutely ignore the people who hate Alphas. While you may not have pleased everyone you certainly pleased this reader and I would definitely buy any Alphas/Kinsmen/Kate/Edge thing you wrote. Right now I automatically buy anything you, Meljean Brook, Patricia Briggs and Terry Pratchett write -- there are a couple others but they're not as important to me. :)

Mihir Ilona wrote: "You were not told to shut up. You were told, "I don't want to write more Alphas because we get hate." :waves arms:"

I hope you don't stop writing ALPHAS just because of that reason, what I read in the A:O novella was still dark and powerful and I'm sure if you guys wrote what you truly intended, you might lose a few readers but you'll definitely gain new ones as well.

I for one am willing to read whichever new series you guys decide to write whenever you finish the Kate series & lastly don't listen to any of us regarding the KD books. You guys should write the finale and end the series the way you want :)

message 15: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Rosa Mihir wrote: "Ilona wrote: "You were not told to shut up. You were told, "I don't want to write more Alphas because we get hate." :waves arms:"

I hope you don't stop writing ALPHAS just because of that reaso..."

Yeah endings are good!
I'll be sad to let Kate go, but i hate endless stories...

Gordon Mihir wrote: "Ilona wrote: "You were not told to shut up. You were told, "I don't want to write more Alphas because we get hate." :waves arms:"

I hope you don't stop writing ALPHAS just because of that reaso..."

Thanks man, I think she will come around, she just takes negative reviews really badly. We are hoping to do more Kinsmen and Alphas down the line.

Amanda L I really liked it. Loved the fact that it was different from anything else I've been reading. I'm hoping to read more of this in the future!

message 18: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess I am not mentioning names. But I know another author who had to completely rip their story to pieces for an anthology. She is known for having fairly sexy plots with not just sex scenes but greats sexual tension.

She had to take ALOT of scenes out and the book didnt even match the rest of the series that she wrote. It was bazaar - She shared the original version with me and I can honestly say that her unedited word doc was 2000 Times better then what came out in the anthology.

If you really feel passionate about your version of the story then I think you should wait till you get your rights back and then just bring out your version in ebook.

Promote it as new and revised version :)

I believe that more editors should trust their authors to know what their readers are wanting.

message 19: by ~♥*Marianna*♥~ (last edited Oct 21, 2011 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~♥*Marianna*♥~ Alphas universe is interesting but Kinsmen is freaking AWESOME! I love it love it love it! Especially loved Silent Blade!
So *deep breath*, I'll read whatever you write but with every Kinsmen story you write my worship of you will increase exponentially!

No pressure. ;)

Gordon ~♥*Marianna*♥~ wrote: "Alphas universe is interesting but Kinsmen is freaking AWESOME! I love it love it love it! Especially loved Silent Blade!
So *deep breath*, I'll read whatever you write but with every Kinsmen story..."
Thanks, we would like to write more kinsman, it is fun to have our own HP type books.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) I've been seeing quite a bit of "novella backlash" lately - doesn't seem to matter if it's a good short story, they are hated because they aren't full-blown novels. I like the shorts, and I like that authors get a chance to try something a little different. :) I'll keep buying them if you keep writing them.

message 22: by Angi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angi Johnson I LOVED Alphas, and can't wait for the next one!!!

Cjvandever I admit that the romance in the Alphas story wasn't working for me in the beginning because the balance of power was just making it icky. Once the heroine and hero were on equal footing, I quite liked it. I loved this world and characters and it was my favorite story of the four. I hope you won't allow the haters to stop you from writing more of this oh so interesting world!

Quinky I'm voting for ALPHAS!! It's the first work I've read of yours and I fell in love with it. After reading it, I was like, you guys should totally continue the story but through Emily's point of view when she's all grown up! I can't stop imagining how she would be like growing up in this fantastic but dangerous world you've created. Go Alphas!o(>.<)o

Lil Smiles I LOVED this story Gordon! I totally felt the darkness and danger. It felt so unique and real, I was totally engrossed in the story :D I had just finished Silver Shark before this: you guys just blow me away with how you get better and better! you can do no wrong by me ;)

Gordon Lil Smiles wrote: "I LOVED this story Gordon! I totally felt the darkness and danger. It felt so unique and real, I was totally engrossed in the story :D I had just finished Silver Shark before this: you guys just bl..." Thanks man, and happy Thanksgiving. Silver Shark was a fun story, Ilona loves those boss and secretary romance books.

Lil Smiles Gordon wrote: "Thanks man, and happy Thanksgiving. Silver Shark was a fun story, Ilona loves those boss and secretary romance books. "

Lol I guess I love them too ;)
Btw if you guys released the original version of Alpha as an ebook I would certainly buy it! It seemed pretty dark already to me so I have a morbid curiosity to see how far you really went (^^)

Sarah Wilson I liked your Kinsmen books a lot and LOVED Alphas. I think Alphas could have the potential of the Kate books (my favorites). I think dark is fine, though I do enjoy your bits of humor. I prefer say the Kate style (with romance but secondary to the plot) over the more romancy books in the paranormal genre, and I wouldn't say Alphas was too romancy.

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan xD. you two are so adorable. For some reason I see you guys as like a real-life Kate and Curran just from that little love spat you guys had. lmaoo
And, I vote for Alphas too!

Dusty Bibliophile Alphas: Origins was good. I hope there will be more forthcoming. I was sorry to come to the end so soon.

Nancy it took me longer to absorb the details of this world (longer than say, Kate Daniels or Innkeeper) but that would not deter me from learning (and reading!) more about this world.

sure, I like the Kinsmen stories. I would read more of those, of course. but! I would be okay with more Alphas. #JustSaying

Baisakhi It may not be along the same lines of KD or innkeeper or even Burn for me, but it was a really original story and I can definitely say I liked it.

I agree with you Gordon, I wish it had a little less romancy stuff, as a whole I didn't think it fit. Hope we get to see the un-compromised version, and even if we don't fingers crossed for publishing the series!

message 33: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill Not sure where the hate comes from, because I actually loved this story. Like Gordan himself and others I thought the romance aspect was pretty weak, but I loved everything else. Sometimes I too like something that's just plain dark and out side of horror (which I don't really like) it can be hard to find. I would love to see more in this world someday, because I simply adored being in the main characters head as she struggled to make a place for herself in a situation that many would find unbearable.