Jules's Reviews > Wendy

Wendy by Karen Wallace

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: historical, youngadult, family
Read in October, 2011

First, the negative: the dialogue was a bit too modern at times, and the pacing/weaving together of various plots seemed a little off for me -- things were wrapped up a little too quickly at the end, I felt.

But in general I really enjoyed this! I'm a sucker for a) Edwardian stuff and b) Peter Pan, and this satisfied me on both counts. I was able to see the characters I liked in Peter Pan, and I really appreciated reading something by an author who understands that the hero of Peter Pan is Wendy, not Peter, that she's the most dynamic character and the one who grows and learns the most, that ultimately it's her story. I'm always a bit cautious about companion works, because the allusions to the original works can be so obvious, or else they're just original works with a few names of familiar characters slapped on to cash in. This erred more on the side of an original story, and I do think it would've been completely satisfactory had the characters not been named Darling, but I could also see Wendy Darling here, and while Wallace's work and Barrie's source both stand on their own, a knowledge of each improves the other, making it the best kind of derivative/transformative work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wendy.