Faisal's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Oct 21, 11

Read from October 12 to 21, 2011

A fascinating journey into the Japanese culture. The book takes you into the world of Geisha's their upbringing and training into women who take away all the stresses of daily Japanese life for men. Its ironic how much they in turn have to struggle to achieve this feat.

To me the beauty of a story often lies in how the writer integrates the culture, society, history into a story in such a way that once completed not only has one read something wonderful but it enriches our lives as it tells us in detail the inner most working of a land and custom which might as well have been alien to you previously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

10/12/2011 page 20
5.0% "As a Child it seemed to me as if the ocean had caught a terrible cold, because it was always wheezing and there would be spells when it let out a huge sneeze - which is to say that there was a burst of wind with a tremendous spray. I decided our tiny house must have took to leaning back because it wanted to get out of the way." 3 comments
10/19/2011 page 147
34.0% "Grief is a peculiar thing; we're so helpless in the face of it. It's like a window that will simply open of its own accord. The room grows cold, and we ca do nothing but shiver. But it opens a little less each time, and a little less; and one day we wonder what has become of it."
10/19/2011 page 255
60.0% "As a Child it seemed to me as if the ocean had caught a terrible cold, because it was always wheezing and there would be spells when it let out a huge sneeze - which is to say that there was a burst of wind with a tremendous spray. I decided our tiny house must have took to leaning back because it wanted to get out of the way."
show 1 hidden update…