Shah Wharton's Reviews > Vlad: The Last Confession

Vlad by C.C. Humphreys

Oct 12, 11

Read from October 10 to 11, 2011

Well, I was so excited to read this book after reading the reviews. However, after reading the first third I grew tired of it. The use of a seemingly older version of English made the story chug along, instead of flow. I found myself getting bored every few sentences with the 'over-the-top' prose, longing for some straight-forward writing to carry me onward to the actual story. Others of a more patient disposition might wonder what the hell I'm moaning about.

I even found reading Dracula easy in comparison, and a much more pleasurable read. Stroker at least wrote in a time when flowery, comma-laden, extremes of writing were normal. They are no longer, thankfully. Though this author would have you believe otherwise.

Those of you who enjoy heavily applied, convoluted prose will love it. Perhaps the complete story could make the struggle of reading it worthwhile? However, with so many other books to get stuck into, I decided to move on to another book.

Recommendation? Well, I recommend that you read a sample first, then decide. Most reviewers seemed to enjoy it, so don't let me put you off. I want books to grab me, pull me along, immerse me between the pages and make me forget that I'm reading. This was never going to do that -for me. But it might for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vlad.