Cayr's Reviews > The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Nov 02, 10

bookshelves: my-all-time-faves, dogs
Recommended to Cayr by: Valrie, a friend on GoodReads
Recommended for: anybody who loves dogs and good fiction
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

I love fiction like this. Fiction that is this well told, with well developed three dimensional characters, and a story that is thoroughly absorbing.

The story is told in the first person. The novel twist is that the first "person" is a dog named Enzo. Enzo is an astute observer of his master's life, and has a lot of wisdom to impart, if only someone could hear him.

Who knows if dogs really think this deeply, and wax poetic about life's ironies and victories and tragedies? I like to think that they do.

Enzo loves his master, Denny, a race car driver, very much. He thinks that Denny is amazing. His loyalty and love color his observations as he watches Denny navigate some enormous life difficulties and personal tragedies.

What would your dog say about you if he could speak? How do you know his small gestures aren't an effort to communicate his love and support and insight to you?

This is an engrossing and heartfelt book, and makes it onto my list of all time favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Racing in the Rain.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynn Siler You've sold me on this book!