SueM's Reviews > When I Fall

When I Fall by Belinda McBride

4272088
Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: m-m, sci-fi-romance, royalty, betrayal, conspiracy, military-mercs, favorites
Read in January, 2012

The sequel to An Uncommon Whore, When I Fall continues the story of Helios and Griffin, following Helios's return to his people as King.

Aptly named by the author, the story follows these two men as they struggle to adjust to their new roles in life - Helios as King and Griffin as Consort, while both must balance their role as lover/soul-mate to the other. Their separation caused by Helios's slavery has created secrets between the two, as does their current roles, and the secrets start to wear away at their relationship. The story is narrated from Griffin's point of view, and at times I found myself wanting to slap him, in part due to his selfishness, and in part due to his lack of sight. Yet, given that we see events unfold through his eyes, I also found myself feeling compassion for him, despite these two flaws.

I found the pacing slightly uneven at times for my taste. Some parts I wished would move more quickly, while other parts seems slightly rushed. There is one particular scene I was uncomfortable with; one sex scene borders on dub-con to me, and I felt Helios's reaction to it (or rather lack) somewhat disconcerting, particularly given his background as a sex slave. (I guess one could argue that it was due to his background that made him react the way he did.) Others may view this scene differently, but either way, a warning probably wouldn't hurt.

Overall, though, I enjoyed the novel, and I felt rewarded by the growth in these two characters by the end. It is also apparent there is at least one more book to come, as one major task has yet to be fulfilled.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When I Fall.