Mandy's Reviews > Magician: Apprentice

Magician by Raymond E. Feist

May 14, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, 2012
Read from May 09 to 14, 2012

I can see why this book made NPR's top 100 science fiction and fantasy novels. The characters are engaging and the plot is complex. There are lots of twists and turns and little surprises thrown into the mix.

The premise of the book is that a war begins between the Island Kingdom (so named because its capital is located on an island) and aliens from another world who create a magical rift between their world and the world of the Island Kingdom (called Midkemia). This is where the series gets its name as The Riftwar Saga. Readers follow the beginning of the war through the stories/viewpoints of several characters of various rank, from the lowly boy soldier Tomas to Duke Borric, Warden of the west. Of course, there is no balance in this distribution and readers can expect to see things primarily through the eyes of a few key characters. It works better than one might expect it to, just FYI.

Of course, even though it was originally published without the certainty of any sequels, there is quite the cliffhanger at the end. It literally stops smack in the middle of everything. If Feist wasn't able to have published the rest of this story I would probably go mad without the option of being able to go out and get the rest of it, which I assure you that I will. I mean, why wouldn't I? The story is interesting, the characters are engaging, and the writing style is great. There's just enough detail in the writing to paint a clear picture, but little enough detail to make one want to keep reading to get the rest.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magician.

05/11/2012 page 234