Bookaholics's Reviews > Blood Eternal

Oct 11, 2011

Blood Eternal by Marie Treanor
Paranormal Romance -Oct. 4th, 2011
4 stars

Blood Eternal is the third and last book in the ‘Awakened by Blood’ trilogy. The whole series follow the romantic relationship between Elizabeth Silk, an academic/graduate student, who accidentally awakened the greatest vampire ever known to mankind, Saloman. (Due to its complexity, this is not a recommended stand-alone read; it is best if you start at the very first book and work your way to the last one.)

Elizabeth Silk has finally reached some sort of tenuous balance in her life - she has admitted completely to herself and to others that she is irrevocably in love with Saloman irregardless of whether he feels the same way. Happily, Saloman is making the effort to keep Elizabeth in his life even though they may spent time far apart. When Elizabeth receives word from the vampire hunters that Saloman’s cousin, Luk, was awakened by Dante, the ambitious US senator who craves power and dominion over all, she flies immediately to Turkey, not knowing the danger she’s in. As he slowly recovers his memory, Luk is half-mad and had been treated by Dante as a pet. Now Luk wants to exact revenge against Saloman, the vampire who killed him. When Luk discovers Elizabeth and her importance to Saloman, he shifts his focus to her. Can Saloman protect Elizabeth?

There’s a lot going on in this book. First you have the demented Dante and insane Luke running amok. Secondly you have Saloman and Elizabeth’s fragile relationship, thirdly Saloman is trying to convince the hunters to change their mindset and let vampires and humans co-exist peacefully, fourthly Elizabeth has a mysterious illness, and lastly, there’s another group of humans who are forming another vampire hunter club. All in all, this is a very packed story. With so much going on, the plot, with its multiple branches and subplots, does feel a bit rushed and chaotic.

The reason why I enjoyed the first book so much was the amount of focus the author placed on Saloman and Elizabeth’s romance. By the third book, I feel like the story has gotten out of the author’s control. There’s simply too much, which weighs down the pace of the story. I don’t mind reading about Luk, but Dante, despite being the main villain in the second book, didn’t appear much in the third book. There was so much going on I thought it was overkill. There were simply not enough room in the book for them, and I wished that the author had expanded the story or had another book or two in the series.

I wished more pages were devoted to Elizabeth and Saloman. I’m really glad that Saloman finally moved past the mindset that sex with Elizabeth is just sex. It’s nice to see him reciprocate some feelings back. To me, the first half of the book is the closest the two of them can get to a ‘real’ relationship between a vampire and a human. Overall, I felt the twists and storyline were a bit too pat and eventually...unsatisfying and bloodless. Towards the end, I keep having a sneaky suspicion that Treanor got too attached to her characters and just wanted a nice, easy happily-ever-after for them.

Blood Eternal is a decent conclusion to the trilogy, and I am happy about Saloman’s emotional growth in the last book, but I feel that it lack a certain ‘oomph’ that made the first book an amazing roller coaster ride.

Reviewed by Pauline from the Bookaholics Romance Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Eternal.