Fairytale Nerd's Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Dec 28, 11

Read in December, 2011

Read my full review at The Fairytale Nerd.

LOVE:
I loved the adventure part of the story. Aria and Perry traveled together, and they have met some pretty interesting characters along the way. Also, for some weird reason, I found Aria's first period scene very cute. (Although it really bothers me that Aria was completely ignorant of the what, how and why of the female physiology, and that Perry had to inform her about such things.) I also loved the very slow developing romance. Aria and Perry started out as enemies, calling each other names and insulting each other. As they travel together, they became friends eventually. Then they become friends who are interested in becoming more but are still in denial of their feelings. Then after a kiss, they became a couple. As they traveled some more, they realized that they truly loved each other. Aria and Perry's relationship is just so sweet. Really touching and charming. I also love the theme of forbidden love in the story (Perry, whose powers are very rare, cannot have a relationship outside of his kind as they want to keep the bloodline pure and powerful), and the fact that Aria and Perry's sweet romance will inevitably end as their journey ends. The chapters near the end were a bit heartbreaking. Aria and Perry didn't want to let go of each other as they have become everything to one another. But they have to, and they knew this from the beginning. It was just so bittersweet - it will never be you, and you just have this one time to be with the other. Moreover, I love the fact that Perry is not your typical tall, dark, and handsome leading man. Perry is full of scars and has a crooked nose. Nevertheless, Aria viewed him as beautiful for his strength and talent.

NO LOVE:
The story was very confusing at the beginning. There were so many details that the reader needs to be familiar with to hang on to Aria's narration. It can seem a bit overwhelming most especially with the details on how people live in the pods. For the first two or three chapters, I did not know where the story was headed as there also unfamiliar things happening at once. I felt that the book lacked an introduction on how life goes in the pods as well as in the outside world. The book had a very slow beginning too. I almost set the book aside, but after Aria and Perry met, things got more interesting. I also did not like the way Aria treated Perry at first. I thought she was ungrateful - calling Perry a savage despite the fact that Perry saved her life.

MUSINGS:
The writing was okay, but like I said, details were bombarded all at once. But I liked the switching POVs. Somehow, this made the first half of the book bearable. I'd give the first half of the book 2.5 stars as it was quite dragging, but the second half of the book deserved 4.5 stars. Also, although I adored Aria and Perry's relationship in the story, there really isn't much romance in this book though. Most of the time, the characters are just trying to survive the outside world. Plus, I don't think Perry knows how to properly court a girl despite his claims that he has been with other girls. This book is a journey - not only a physical journey of traveling from point A to point B, but also a journey of finding oneself. This book is about feeling lost and not being a part of anything. It's about finding the true meaning of "home."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lauri i thought the period scene was soooooooo damn cute, Aria had no idea what was happening to her because here she comes from that doesnt happen to girl so it was expected that she'd have no clue