Andrewhouston's Reviews > A Drink Before the War

A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane

Oct 11, 11

Read in October, 2011

Lehane's first book. It's decent. A page turner, although not very original. It's got what seems like the standard detective novel cliches: detective who is cool and has a hot female sidekick; big lovable sociopath who grew up with the detective hero and protects him from harm and so is kept as a close friend even though he is reprehensible. But the writing is pretty good aside from a couple cheesy one-liners. And then there's this: Why do so many books like this always go into so much detail about what characters are wearing? Sometimes it may seem necessary to the character but most of the time who cares? Often seems gratuitous and beside the point. Anyway, I figure Lehane's just getting his footing with this one, maybe. I did like the honest way the book dealt with racism, even with the main hero, that was good although could have gone deeper. I would read more of his books. I read Mystic River back when the movie was out and I think I liked that a good deal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Drink Before the War.

message 1: by Cedric (new)

Cedric Rose Ando,
Lehane is one of the big headliners at this year's Books by the Banks festival (OCT 22nd) at the Duke Convention Center. Bike on down!
(Borrowed a mt. Bike. Let's get our urban drunk-lo-cross on... we should bike up on the Viaduct some weekend... very visually interesting)

Andrewhouston Hey Ced. That's a great idea. Unfortunately Colleen and I will be out of town. We're going up to New England and Boston to visit Zach and Yuko. Taking the bikes up there! We'll be back on the 25th. I definitely agree about the viaduct. Let's go!

message 3: by Cedric (new)

Cedric Rose Sounds great. Have a wonderful trip and tell those kids I said waazup?