Sarah's Reviews > Dead Girls Are Easy

Dead Girls Are Easy by Terri Garey

Oct 11, 11

Love this! This is one of the smartest, most original paranormal books I have read in a long while.
Nicki is a great heroine - she is a smart, confident woman who came out of her goth stage with her black eyeliner and originality intact. She co-owns a vintage clothing store with her best friend, Evan, and has a nice life as a single girl in the childhood home she inherited. Nicki is a reluctant ghost whisperer following her near death experience, and her reactions are humorous and understandable, and show her inherent kindness, compassion and bravery. She doesn't want this ability, but feels like she should help the (sometimes nagging and annoying) ghosts who need her assistance. Nicki describes her new life as "dead people jumping up like Pop-Tarts to impose their unfinished business on me".
Nicki's new life has come with another change as well, in a loving and sexy boyfriend. Joe saved her life and is fascinated by her, as both a subject for his study of near death experiences, and as a woman. As Nicki navigates her feelings for him, he drops an emotional bomb on her, revealing that she may have a twin sister. Adding to the intrigue is the fact that this woman is named Kelly Charon, probable twin sister to Nicki Styx (yes, I'm a dork, but Greek mythology references make me so happy!). With regular plot twists that reveal how intertwined people and events are in Nicki's life, this is one satisfying read, and a delightful paranormal mystery/romance. The characters are well-developed, the action is steady and the bad guys genuinely scary, but the details are the delight in this book, setting it apart from others in the genre. Specific references to vintage clothing and jewelry labels and materials, music groups, voodoo and more lend charm and depth to the characters and the story. As if that isn't enough, the author manages to reference Edward Gorey - I am now a fan for life!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Girls Are Easy.