Ann's Reviews > Long Time Leaving: Dispatches from Up South

Long Time Leaving by Roy Blount Jr.

Oct 11, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, nonfiction, essay
Read in October, 2011

I'll be straight with you, content wise I wouldn't rate the book as a 5 star. It's not exactly what you'd call 'meaty' or 'deep.' You don't really come away from it with any thoughts. And some of it is repetitive. But you will NOT regret the ride. I listened to this on audiobook because I enjoy his voice so much, which was worth it on one hand for the sheer relish and joy he packs into every sentence, and for the accents I wouldn't be able to pull off in my head. It made long drives short, and long hours of database entry bearable.

But on the other hand I regret it because I can't go back and find a page, and highlight my favorite passages. Like the one about the Jack Russel Terrier being a dog in concentrate, and that maybe if you steeped him in molasses for awhile you'd get a Black Lab. And you can't really pass along an Audible download to your friends. In fact, I had to go buy another copy just because I knew a friend who's taking a nonfiction class right now, who could get a lot of technique out of it.

I can't think of a much better way to sum up a good book than this. I got to the end, and I was sad, because there wasn't any more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Time Leaving.