Jayre's Reviews > Spider's Revenge

Spider's Revenge by Jennifer Estep

Oct 11, 11

Read in October, 2011

I did not enjoy this book.

For those of you who haven't read it yet, here is the synopsis.

Assassin Girl is taking revenge on evil witch for killing her parents.

That's it in a nutshell.

You would think it would be difficult to screw that up but Estep managed. Now I really don’t feel good being so harsh on this author's work, but I read the previous four novels, and enjoyed them for the most part (spiders bite is the best) of them.

What I liked about those books was the fact the Gin was ruthless, patient, but most of all smart.

In this novel she's reckless, insecure and plain old incompetent allot of the time. She came off as an unhinged sociopath who was completely and totally unable to think more than two steps ahead.

What makes it worse is that the author fully realizes what she's doing but decides to allow the character to be irrational anyway. A perfect example of this is when Gin is about to kill Mab at the costume party. she knows it's a trap to draw her out, she knows mab is thumbing her nose at her and she knows that there is a high probability of her being caught and endangering the lives of all her friends when her cover is blown. But she decided to do this foolish thing anyway based on some foolish rationalization.

Now I understand her cover being blown to mab was necessary; but it was insulting to the reader’s intelligence to plot that way, because no assassin in their right mind would even consider taking that foolish course of action; Especially someone who calls them-self the spider, who considers herself a meticulous planner and amazingly patient. So you're telling me the character is 'this way' but she behaves in a completely contrary way just to move the plot forward which at the end of the day compromises the integrity of the character in the readers eyes.

At this point in the novel I threw it down, picked it back up and decided to just muddle through the damn thing. It was painful, Gin had turned Mary sue, and Owen was this perfect guy with no flaws, Jojo and Sofia nothing but the cleanup crew, Bria, well I’m not sure what she is except a convenient plot device. Flin was kinda funny.

Honestly mab was the best character in this novel. I wish she got more online time.

Added to that, she spent a good amount of the novel simply rehashing the same crap over and over. With the same wording and everything, it's like she copy and pasted the same articles throughout the novel over and over again which made Gin's narrative voice rather annoying. Yes we know she killed your parents, we know you miss Fletcher, we know you think you have to kill mab, we know you love bria, we know mabs hair is red. And the runes don’t get me started on the stinking runes. Every-time mab is onstage we go through a three paragraph long description of her pendant.

Honestly, the best part of the book to me was the food descriptions. Yum Yum yum, gimmie some of that raspberry lemonade and barbecued beef sandwich with fries. You can leave the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider's Revenge.