Katharine Kimbriel's Reviews > My Dear Jenny

My Dear Jenny by Madeleine E. Robins

Oct 11, 11

bookshelves: romance, history, regency, book-view-cafe
Recommended to Katharine by: Liked author's previous works
Recommended for: Lovers of Sweet Regencies
Read in January, 2011, read count: 1.5

Recommended for lovers of Sweet Regency Romances!

This novel of Regency England is a reprint of a book circa 1980, and would be called a Sweet Regency Romance in 2011. For once, I’m going to give you the back blurb, because it really pares nicely down to the real start of the book.

“Stranded with an inn-full of travelers, Jenny Prydd finds herself embroiled in Emily Pellering’s reluctant elopement. When she realizes that Emily’s having second thoughts Jenny finds it impossible not to interfere. With the help of her fellow travelers — enigmatic Peter Teverley and his nephew Dominic — Jenny foils a fortune-hunter’s plans.

That should be the end of it, but when they reach London matters grow more complex: the fortune-hunting Adrian Ratherscombe still has his eye on Emily. Dominic Teverley has a tendre for Emily, but she only has eyes for Peter. Jenny's growing feelings for the intriguing, infuriating Peter Teverley are simply not to be borne. But she finds it isn’t easy to put such dreams aside...”

Here we have a heroine who has made the best of what life has handed her. She’s an interesting, gracious young woman, but on her best day she’s merely handsome, and in a family with two extremely attractive siblings, her mother decided early on that Jenny was not going to be worth bothering with.

Left with tight finances after her parents’ death, and apparently no strong sibling ties, she ends up helping her loving if not-too-bright aunt with a growing family – until an old school friend invites her to the wedding of her sister (characters from Robins' first Regency novel ALTHEA.) And it’s on her way to London that all Jenny’s adventures begin.

I enjoyed this Georgette Heyer Lite tale, although I got more of Emily, who proves a tad selfish at the throw, than I cared for. But Jenny shines all the more by the contrast, and you will be rewarded with a fine HEA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Dear Jenny.