Casey's Reviews > A Spy in the House

A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee

Oct 11, 2011

bookshelves: adventure, fiction, laugh-out-loud-funny, mystery, romance
Read in October, 2011

Was a little torn on how to rate this booked. First of all I got so caught up in the story I finished it in one day. There are so many aspects of this book that I loved and just a few that I just had to overlook.

I like the relationship between the main characters and the whole premise of her being a spy was enthralling to me and put a unique spin on the story.

The main thing that got me was the strong independence of the women. Of course Mary's life has been rough and she's lived on the street, not to mention she's a spy, so I can totally accept her independence and her roughness, but there were several times throughout the story where she encouraged other girls to become independent and follow their dreams. And the story lead you to believe that they did just that almost without hesitation.

While I believe that there were independent women of this time, I must assume that they were few and far between. Propriety and one's character were very important things and women would have been very careful not to ruin either one. I think for the most part women sought good matches rather than independence. The latter either being impossible or to frightening.

But I guess that's just a pet peeve of mine. Mary's independence was realistic to me, but the others, not so much.

And there is a bit of foul language (just as a warning)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spy in the House.