Beth Bedee's Reviews > The Last Song

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: audio, love-story, contemprary-fiction
Read in November, 2011

I wanted to quit this book in the beginning. I'm glad I didn't. It certainly improved in the last 25%. Before that, I would have rated it 3-stars.

I did not care for the story line with Marcus and Blaze. I understand the need for a "villain" and that they served a purpose for the restoration of the Church and stain-glass window, but I was not interested at all. Nor did I care for Marcus' point of view.

I think that Hollywood marketed this book/movie wrong. The cover has Ronnie and Will kissing. While there's is a love story, I think the real story with between Ronnie and her dad, Steve. I liked the love interest, but I was happy to see that it was put on the back burner for the last quarter of the book to focus on dad and daughter.

I listened to this book on audio and wasn't blown away by the narrators. They (there was a male and female) actually almost ruined it for me.

I understand that the screenplay was written before the actual novel. I can see that the chapters are written very cinematically. You can almost see the end scene dissolving to black. Typically, I like this sort of writing, but it sort of bothered me in this case. I guess I felt that it was a sort of cheating because Sparks had the knowledge of what the scenes were going to look like.

I also felt that the relationships between characters were forced. It seemed like time flew by over the summer. I didn't really see or get the process of how Ronnie and Will fell in love or how Ronnie and Steve mended their relationship. Again, I felt that maybe Sparks was relying on the camera capturing close-ups to show these relationships.

SPOILER ALERT:
So, why did I up my rating to 4 stars? Because the last quarter was a very touching story, and aside from the death of the father, I loved the ending with Ronnie and Will. Its atypical of Sparks' love stories. I liked the conflict between the mom and Ronnie as well.

I think I actually would enjoy seeing this movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Song.