Rebecca's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Feb 25, 2016

bookshelves: love-the-cover, awesome-heroines, i-own, otp
Read from February 02 to 12, 2012

Okay, so I'll be honest: going into this book, I was a little skeptical about how everything would play out. I mean, I'm all for fairytle retellings, but a cyborg Cinderella? Moon people? A big plague that has wiped out a big percentage of the population and New Bejing? Hmm . . . This is a very strange summary. How could all this possibly center around the classic story of Cinderella? You know, the slave of mean stepsisters and a stepmother that went to ball and left before midnight, leaving behind a glass slipper that the prince used to track her down?

So, basically I was hoping that this novel would be amusing; I wasn't expecting to be blown away or anything. But, let me tell you, I WAS. Cinder was a strong and awesome heroine, and the whole plot really did follow the classic Cinderella nicely. This may be my new favorite retelling.

I loved Kai. And I really felt for him; he was under so much presssure to do a good job at being Emporer, but Queen Levana was constantly manipulating him and trapping him. He was sweet and he was honorable, and his romance with Cinder was really quiet interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how their relationship progesses, especially since the book ended with the pair being on such bad terms with each other.

I also appreciated that one of the stepsisters, Peony, was actually Cinder's friend. And I liked knowing why the stepmother was so evil. I mean, in the original fairytale, she's just mean for apparently no reason. In Cinder, she's not the way she in for no reason. It really added depth to her character.

I hear that the sequels are going to center around other fairytales, and I'm super excited to read them! Really looking forward to Scarlet - and the end of the series, where Queen Levana will hopefully go down in flames.

This is a solid five star novel. I can't think of anything that annoyed me at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

Marissa Meyer
“It looks more like a rotting pumpkin.”

Marissa Meyer
“He was the fantasy of every girl in the country. He was so far out of realm, her world, that she should have stopped thinking about him the second the door had closed. Should stop thinking about him immediately. Should never think about him again, except maybe as a client--and her prince.
And yet, the memory of his fingers against her skin refused to fade.”

Marissa Meyer
“She was a cyborg, and she would never go to a ball.”
Marissa Meyer, Cinder

Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Marissa Meyer
“Was it all in my head? A Lunar trick?”
Her stomach twisted. “No.” She shook her head, fervently. How to explain that she hadn’t had the gift before? That she couldn’t have used it against him? “I would never lie—”
The words faded. She had lied. Everything he knew about her had been a lie.
“I’m so sorry,” she finished, the words falling lamely in the open air.
Kai peeled his eyes away, finding some place of resignation off in the glistening garden. “You’re even more painful to look at than she is.”

Marissa Meyer
“That you prefer to rule through fear rather than justice? So sorry, Your Majesty, I’m afraid I already knew that about you.”

Marissa Meyer
“Steadying herself with both hands on the table, she managed an awkward bow....
'Your Highness,' she stammered, head lowered...
The prince flinched and cast a glance over his shoulder before hunching toward her. 'Maybe, um...' - he pulled his fingers across his lips - 'on the Highness stuff?”

02/25 marked as: read

Jody how awesome was Levena! So evil.

Rebecca So completely evil! Can't wait for her to go down.