Jackie's Reviews > The Paris Wife

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, friday-night-book-club, love-story, historical, france, tuesday-night-book-club
Read from October 11 to 15, 2011

The Paris Wife is the fictionalized account of the courtship, marriage, and divorce of Ernest and Hadley Hemingway. Their life in Paris is Great Gatsby-ish with its drunken stupors, unfaithful friends, and adultrous marriages. Yes, creative people are different...we see the evidence in Hemingway's life. Shouldn't we celebrate Hemingway's talent and achievements without the tired, taudry elements that went into his everyday existence? If I wanted to read about his life, I'd much rather read a biography.

Here's the plot: boy meets girl, they marry, have a child, husband struggles with career and eventually takes a lover. Husband and wife quarrel and divorce even though they still love each other. The end.

Would this even be a novel unless it was about Ernest and Hadley Hemingway? I think not. Why is it authors want readers to learn about the dasdardly and evil things famous and creative people do? I'll say this, I learned a lot about people living during the 1920's...prohibition did nothing to cure drinking and alcoholism.

If you liked Loving Frank, you'll love this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paris Wife.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica I did not like Loving Frank. Glad I read your review before reading this one!!