Danielle's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Aug 07, 12

Read from July 26 to August 06, 2012

I can't even remember where I heard about this book, but I'm glad I read it. It tells the story of Daniel, beginning the day that he discovers a book that will be the cause of a dangerous number of years. His story goes alongside that of Julian Carax, the author of the fateful book, and as Daniel explores the mysterious author, we see many parallels and uncanny similarities. This book includes romance, adventure, mystery, and drama all in one, and it all works very well together.

Overall, I found the book to be rather dark in many places, bringing to mind The Kite Runner in many instances, but there's no way that I could compare the two. Zafon has done a much better job of weaving his story and continuing to take the reader deeper into the lives of the characters. Zafon's writing really sets the dark mood as the settings seem to go darker as time goes on and Daniel uncovers more and more. The beginning of the story seems harmless enough, but we ride with Daniel deeper into the dark places he must go to finally understand the man who created a literary masterpiece. I'd also say that it's rated PG-13, with scenes of sexuality and some minor language.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.