Hollie's Reviews > A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Oct 17, 11

Recommended to Hollie by: Modern Library's 100 Best Novels
Recommended for: People Wanting to be Bored to Tears
Read from October 11 to 16, 2011, read count: 1

So dry and hard to chew, I find myself thirsty for lighter reading. Perhaps, had I read this at a different time of life or in another life (because, I assure you, I will NOT be reading it again in this one!) it might have gone over better. But, as it stands, I find the book difficult to enjoy and quite unengaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

10/11/2011 page 90
27.0% "1/4 of the way in: I have to admit, I'm not really a big fan of the long, drawn out conversations in parts of the book, but the story line has been engaging thus far."
10/14/2011 page 131
40.0% "Chapter 3 begins... I am finding the reading slow going with this book and am still finding a lot of the conversation-focused pages very dry and less engaging than others I have read utilizing similar technique. I truly fear I'm just not in the mood for such a heavy piece and should endeavor to make a more jovial piece with my next selection."
10/15/2011 page 275
84.0% "The dogmatic soul searching and Catholic guilt of chapter 4 really unsettled me. Many reasons the Catholic Faith I was raised with was found to be less than and this represented one of them :-/"
10/16/2011 page 329
100.0% "Thank whatever god you subscribe to, that's over!"