Lindsey's Reviews > Pretty Bones

Pretty Bones by Aya Tsintziras

Oct 12, 11

Read on October 11, 2011

4 and a half.

Usually I stray away from books with this subject matter. Without being too vague, it's just something that I don't fancy reading about because it's pretty uncomfortable stuff. I had to give this book a chance though, especially after reading this blog post about how the idea of this story came to be.

Pretty Bones is a frightening look into the mind of a teenage victim of anorexia. Although people may be quick to judge or express their complete confusion as to what could lead someone to resort to starvation, this book pretty much sheds light on how this disorder isn't something that should be brushed away with the mere shake of the head. Through Raine, we see how it is something that can infiltrate your way of thinking and become a factor in every single minute of how you live your life.

I certainly didn't expect this novel to be so sad and dark, but I think that is why I liked it. There is no prettying up Raine's story and every thought of hers, however simple or complicated, is so damn honest. It's almost scary how much truth there is to Raine's 'logic'. Everything is so matter-of-fact. This book actually reminded me of Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak (a favourite of mine). Similar to Anderson's novel, it is easy to be so frustrated with the protagonist and at times I just wanted to shake Raine out of her stubbornness. ...But then at the same time, I could fully understand why she thinks the way she does and why she feels so unpretty.

A character definitely worth noting is Dylan, Raine's boyfriend. I was surprised at how forgiving Dylan seemed to be over and over again, but I think his presence in Raine's life (even when he wasn't physically there) was one that was much needed. I think he (and Sascha, too) represented a fine line between what could make or break a person. Even though Raine's mother tries to put her into therapy, there was still something slightly disconnected about her actions. Dylan might be a little corny at times, but I never doubted his concern.

On a slightly lighter note, it was pretty cool to be able to visualize the setting and Toronto landmarks so surely. For me, at least, I think that's some of the reason why I felt so affected by Raine's story. I've totally walked down those same streets and I've probably bought drinks at the same Starbucks that she frequents. I don't want to say I can ~relate~ to her, but well, you know.

Despite the fact that my brain felt numb and quite unsettled after reading, I did enjoy this book and I would definitely recommend it. It's some seriously thought-provoking stuff.

originally posted here at my book blog: http://astormofwords.net/2011/10/11/r...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Bones.

10/11/2011 page 63
39.0% "this book is taking me forever to read, but not because it's bad or anything. :/"