Morgan's Reviews > The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from October 11 to 12, 2011

Got this book on the cheap at a Borders closing because steampunk stuff plus hilarious shirtlessness means I'm all in.

I don't regret my purchase, because the book was both exactly what I was looking for (hilarious steampunk fluff) and much better than I expected.

The world building in this book was really, really great. The author really did make such an interesting universe in which to put her characters in with an interesting backstory you find out throughout the book instead of in one big infodump. I came out of this book thinking that I would love to read more stories in this world.

The greatest part about this book might be the everything AND the kitchen sink approach to the world. It's steampunk and Victorian but also there are pirates! And airships! And regular ships! And ZOMBIES! And kraken! WTF is there anything left out of this world? No, the answer is no.

The main problem with the whole book is the main hero. He is basically a sexual predator that stalks our sassy heroine until she's finally like "ok fine. Let's do this." It is a romance for the ages if you are into borderline-rapists. It's too bad, because the Mina is pretty awesome and all the side characters are interesting.

Still, if there's another book set in this world I would totally read it in a heartbeat. It's a steampunk book with zombies!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.

10/11/2011 page 340
90.0% "Most of way through this book and it is fun and crazy and straight up unintentionally hilarious at times." 4 comments
10/12/2011 page 378