Maijabeep's Reviews > A Circle of Quiet

A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: memoir, favourite-nonfiction
Read from October 25 to November 01, 2011

I was listening to a lecture by Susan Wise Bauer on teaching literary criticism and was struck by her argument that one should never get a child to analyze a book they love - because it will kill that love.

That's how I feel about this book. I feel that I would lose some of my love for it by picking it apart and strip-mining it for the many, many quotations I want to share with everyone. This was one of those books for me that I'll reread every year or so. One of those books that you get something different out of it with every re-read and always what you really needed in that moment.

This book has a lot of thoughts crammed into it: on religion, nature, raising children, reading, solitude, writing, ontology, teaching, community, love, punctuation. For some it probably will seem to meander and lack in focus, but that was one of the things I loved about it. I couldn't possibly unpack it all.

So wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Circle of Quiet.

10/25/2011 page 23
9.0% "You know those books you just want to crawl into and curl up inside? This is one of them."
10/28/2011 page 129
50.0% "This book is so wonderful I have to keep forcing myself to put it down so I don't gobble it up all at once."
show 1 hidden update…