Jace's Reviews > The Sirens of Titan

M 50x66
Jul 11, 2009

liked it
Read in July, 2009 , read count: 1

Not my favorite novel, as far as Vonneguts go, but still a very good book compared to everything else out there. It's an early work, and not as cohesive as his peak writings. The story becomes a little disjointed as it weaves between the major acts, but it all picks up eventually. I also didn't get a good feel for the characters. Or caricatures, perhaps. We're told a lot about their personalities, but I didn't feel like we actually spent enough time with any of them to decide for ourselves. For example, near the end of the book, we're told that one character is despised by the entire world, though I'm not exactly sure how that came about or what he did to deserve it. Despite a few faults, it still contains the rich appeal to secular humanism and the critiques of religion that made me love Vonnegut in the first place. I loved his take on luck and success, best summarized by the novels protagonist: "I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sirens of Titan.

06/15/2009 page 150