Bonnie's Reviews > Crank

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Nov 14, 2015

bookshelves: ya, contemporary, poetry-verse, 2011
Read from November 17 to 18, 2011

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Crank, you see
reeling
until you try to get
away.

The Storyline
Kristina is a high school junior who’s your typical normal kid who brings home good grades and has never done anything to disappoint her mom. Kristina though, isn’t always Kristina. Sometimes she becomes Bree, the girl she’s always wanted to be. The girl who tells it like it is, the confident one, the one who’s nothing like Kristina.

When Kristina goes to Albuquerque, New Mexico to visit her dad she meets the neighbor boy Adam and her life begins the slow roll downhill.

His voice dripped
Honey and cream,
Irresistible poison.

He was poison and he introduced her to another irresistible poison: the monster. Just trying it once and her life was forever changed.

My Thoughts
This is my third foray into the works of Ellen Hopkins and I have yet to be disappointed. These are hard books and I can see why people either love them or hate them. They wrestle the difficult subjects that normal authors refuse to touch in order to avoid controversy or dispute. I can understand this; however, that makes me love this author that much more because she does wrestle these tough subjects. She tackles them to the ground and does it with gusto.

All of Ellen Hopkins books tell a brutally honest tale and you’re not likely to get a happy ending either so don’t be surprised if you’re left beaten and bruised by her stories and not given your fairy tale ending. Her books just simply are take it or leave it. Personally, I can’t get enough of them; I find them incredibly hard to put down once I’ve started and I can’t wait to get my hands on the next one.
18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crank.

11/17 page 13
2.0% "He sucked the nectar from her heart like a famished butterfly." 1 comment
11/18 page 267
50.0% "Getting car sick. Time to find an audiobook. Lol"
11/18 page 447
83.0% "I felt out of control, a meteorite tumbling through space, tugged by gravity toward certain doom."
03/19 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Sabrina Troubling but good right? Will you read the others in the trilogy?

Bonnie Yes, very. I've got the next two on hold at the library ready for me to pick up. :)

Sabrina I'm finishing up Fallout right now!

Bonnie Are you enjoying it?

Sabrina Yes. I only have one more (Burned) of her books to read.

Bonnie I was just looking to see how many more of her books I have to read. I've still got a few to go but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself when I don't have anymore! haha

Sabrina Me too! I don't think she has anything coming out until late 2012!

Bonnie Yep, sounds about right. I should probably try and draw them out and not read them all at once but I don't think it's going to happen.

Sabrina Good luck with that.....LOL!

Bonnie :) thanks lol

message 11: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Witter I don't agree at all. I am definitely an Ellen Hopkins fan. This is also my third Hopkins book. However, I was very disappointed by this book. The plot, the truth, the disgust, all of it was too much.
To add to the creepiness in the text, Ellen writes almost the entire poem is shapes. She does this to move the story along. This is one of the few things i actually enjoyed. One other part of the book I enjoyed were the quotes. "The problem with resolutions is they're only as solid as the person making them."
That quote really spoke to me. There are so many more beautiful quotes. Her writing is always so gracefully fitting into the the shapes she gives each page. Way do you think? Did you like her writing style as much as I had?