Anne Nikoline's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Aug 15, 12

bookshelves: rory-gilmore-challenge, modern-literature, adult-ilterature, favorite-books, religion-philosophy, animals, own, read-2011, read-2012, science-or-psychology, maritime-literature, 21th-century
Recommended to Anne Nikoline by: book club
Recommended for: it's a must-read. go figure.
Read from October 14, 2011 to August 15, 2012

There is no excuse for not reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I honestly think it is one of those book you need on your bookshelf because you might read it another time, and then again, and again. What Yann Martel creates is marvellous to the point of a headache, because this novel makes you think hard; it is one of those rare books that does not leave your mind when you have finished it. It stays there much longer, while you try to figure out what really happened and which of the two stories Pi tells you should believe. You can only take him for his words and that is what makes this story so incredible. It is the exact same thing with religion: no one knows which "story" is true when it comes to religious beliefs: Allah, Budda, Jesus?

Another reason why this story is so mesmerising is because no matter how you turn the story, Pi and the tiger vs. Pi as the tiger, there will always be some untied ends. For example: what Pi has told us is the story that allowed him to survive. He was the tiger, and the tiger part of him left him once he didn't need it any more, but that does not explain the rodent skeletons and the teeth from the island. Seen from the other perspective, Pi with the tiger, it seems very logical to think of a small lifeboat with a human boy and a smaller zoo because these animals would naturally be stressed out and probably go wild in the presence of one another.

It is written with language that is both delicate and sturdy, and there times when the reader really begin to feel the heat of the sun against one's skin and the taste of the salt water on one's tongue. Even the tiny hairs on back of the neck will stand up whenever Richard Parker, the Bengal tiger, looks you right in the eye. I can honestly say Life of Pi by Yann Martel is one of my absolute favourite, and not a typical read for me, but boy, how glad I am to own a copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

Quotes Anne Nikoline Liked

Yann Martel
“Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud...”
Yann Martel, Life of Pi

10/14/2011 page 230
08/14/2012 page 1
0.0% "I'LL HIT THE BIG SCREEN - SOON! ASDFGJKL"