Nicole Fletcher's Reviews > A Doll's House

A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen

Oct 11, 11

bookshelves: drama, classics
Read on October 11, 2011, read count: 1

Hmm... so what to say about this play? It was pretty annoying for the first 100 pages because Nora is portrayed as a frivolous trophy wife. Her husband constantly refers to her as his songbird and they only talk about money she needs and what she will wear to the party. I hate the tendency of authors of the time to depict women as mindless creatures. Even when Nora was talking to her friend Kristine about how proud she was of borrowing money for a trip to Italy for her husband's health she seemed very naive and childish. However by the last 2 or 3 pages it seems that the previous depiction of Nora is the whole point. She says she can't live with her husband anymore because she has always been his doll and never been taken seriously. Therefore she thought of herself that way too. Now she must go out on her own and figure out who she is for herself. So in the end the play seemed to redeem itself a bit in that Nora wasn't as stupid.

I still wasn't thrilled with the play but maybe that's because I don't know much about drama. Just seemed fairly shallow, that there could have been much more story and depth to the characters than was actually afforded. Was I looking for a 500 page novel in a 100 page play?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Doll's House.

10/11/2011 page 87