Melee's Reviews > A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table

Oct 11, 11

bookshelves: memoir-bio
Recommended to Melee by: Mumsy
Read on October 11, 2011

Though my mother actually hasn't read it all the way through yet, she's the one who recommended this to me. Or brought it to my attention, at least, and told me it was good when I asked. Allow me to give a hearty Thanks, mom!

I have to say, this is my favourite "food-memoir" I've ever read! So, maybe this is only my... third... but still, definitely my favourite. Of course, I couldn't tell you why. Perhaps it was because the author felt so down to earth! Her stories were amusing and, yes, heart-warming. Also, her recipes seemed less out-of-my-league as the general fare often appears. Though in all likelihood, they probably require just as much skill. Perhaps her presentation is soothingly hypnotic, instilling a can-do attitude.

As is the case when reading any sort of recipe book, I now feel inspired to go make something in the kitchen which is a favourite pastime that often gets forgotten. I can't make anything now, though, since the household is tucked in their beds, but soon! (Her recipe that is most catching my fancy at the moment is "Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Ganache." Mmmm.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Homemade Life.