Nikki's Reviews > Tales from the Perilous Realm

Tales from the Perilous Realm by J.R.R. Tolkien

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, short-stories-novellas, for-class, fairytales
Read from November 22 to 23, 2011

This edition seems to be combined with other editions that have different content -- mine contains only four stories: 'Farmer Giles of Ham', 'The Adventures of Tom Bombadil', 'Leaf by Niggle', and 'Smith of Wootton Major'. I've already read the latter in an extended edition. It's worth picking up this book -- or the version with 'Roverandom' in it as well -- to get an idea of Tolkien's real idea of fairy tales. Possibly best read along with 'On Fairy-Stories', which some editions also contain.

'Farmer Giles of Ham' is fun -- closer in tone to The Hobbit than Lord of the Rings. I wasn't so keen on 'The Adventures of Tom Bombadil' -- I prefer Tolkien's prose to his poetry, for the most part. 'Leaf by Niggle' is rather more allegorical than I expected of Tolkien, and rather magical. And I've said what I think of 'Smith of Wootton Major' elsewhere, but in summary, it's a lovely gentle fairytale that nonetheless has reality and pain in it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales from the Perilous Realm.