Shauna Masura's Reviews > Grandpa Green

Grandpa Green by Lane Smith

A young boy weaves his way through his great-grandfather’s topiary garden, collecting lost items and recounting his Grandpa Green’s stories. As he walks, the plants come alive with memory, reverie, and a hint of melancholy. Each page transitions seamlessly to the next, giving a dream-like quality to the quirky, mixed-media illustrations that depict major events in Grandpa Green's life. A topiary baby's tears on one page, turn into water sprouting from a hose on the next. So many layers of meaning are present in these pictures, and each page is full of discovery. In the touching conclusion, our narrator returns the lost items back to Grandpa Green, and we realize that someday the garden and the family memories within it will be all that remains of this treasured life.

Lane Smith, author and illustrator of It's a Book, has truly outdone himself with this richly nuanced tale of where we all came from. Meant to be shared between adults and children, the book will inevitably lead to questions about one's own family history. Heartbreaking yet uplifting, Grandpa Green is highly recommended to all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grandpa Green.