Lisa Faye's Reviews > A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Oct 27, 11

Read from October 11 to 27, 2011

This is the best Dickens I have read. That being said I hate Dickens.

Still, A Tale of Two Cities had some really good writing! I even giggled a few times. And some Chapters - like "Fifty-Two" and "The Honest Tradesman" were just plain amazingly written. And the whole giving your own life so that someone you love can be happy - yeah, I can be a bit of a sucker for stuff like that.

But I could not forgive Lucie. Gawd, what an awful bore. Just meant to look pretty and inspire men to toughen' up so that they can take care of her. The whole book was about her, to some degree, and I found her to be one of the most annoying characters I have ever read.

And then the politics. I am not crazy familiar with the French Revolution, but, yeah, I don't think that's exactly how it went down or why. If you're going to hinge your entire novel on a historic event, read up a bit.

I am not now a reformed Dickens Disliker, but I don't shudder quite as violently when I consider reading him again in the future. That was meant to be a compliment I guess. Not that Dickens cares.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Cities.

10/13/2011 page 39