Radym's Reviews > Momofuku Milk Bar

Momofuku Milk Bar by Christina Tosi

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: cookery
Read in December, 2011

I loved "Momofuku", David Chang’s widely popular cookbook/food narrative, and nothing could top it. After reading "Momofuku Milk Bar" by Christina Tosi, however, I came realize that Momofuku was just the first part of an ever-expanding religious experience.

The Foreward, Introduction, Ingredients, Equipment, & Techniques sections are more lengthy than in most cookbooks, but the narrative style throughout is so down-to-earth, funny, and insightful, I didn’t want to skip a word. More importantly, however, I felt more comfortable with the recipes. A lot of times, after reading a restaurant’s cookbooks, I feel either like the magic of their food is lost or I get lost trying to decipher their recipes. Somehow, Christina Tosi maintains the magical experience of Momofuku and at the same time, I feel like I an make a fairly decent home version of their recipes.

The recipes are placed in an order that makes sense to the reader. As a prime example, once you master the art of cereal milk, you have access to more recipes. Same goes for “the crunch” – the idea that many of us are addicted to the texture and taste of junk food, so why not re-conceive it into an amazing desert?

The photos contained within are brilliant. However, the one photo I kept coming back to time and again is the birthday layer cake. For this picture and recipe alone, the book is worth purchasing or checking out from your local public library. It’s also a perfect example of how the recipes layer top of each other to make something completely fabulous.

I am in love with this book, and while I continue to plan my next vacation to New York /Momofuku Milk Bar, I will be trying out Tosi’s recipes on my friends.

Get this book!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Momofuku Milk Bar.